An innocent question. However, the attitudes … Explained ways and means to manage change. An interview for a manager position will consist of questions about your experience, management style, what you've accomplished in the past, and what your expectations are for the future. The person giving the interview has a job to do as well – respect their time. How do you assess the merits of different projects, especially those outside of your area of expertise? Which of their core values resonate with you? And where there are people, there are conflicts. Project Manager Interview Questions & Answer #1: Please describe yourself, your background briefly. All this being said, try and limit the questions to no more than three or four. How do you handle pressure? 1. To attract candidates from abroad, you could also post a programme manager job description. Be prepared for the recruiter’s questions and to anticipate them based on job position requirements. Speak about specifics that relate to the position you are applying for. Sit tall, proud, and confident. In this article, we explore some of the most common interview questions asked during a senior program manager interview along with some great answers to help you win the job. I just focus to the job done. If you’re currently employed and leaving of your own accord, craft your response around enhancing your career development and a seeking out of new challenges. Your body language is also important; don’t slouch back in your chair or appear “hunched over” in a defensive position. Focus on your own strengths, and if the interviewer hasn’t given you an opportunity to mention that one “slam dunk” quality about yourself, now would be the time. Interview Questions for Senior Management Positions “Tell me about a situation where you exceeded the expectations of your role.” This is a typical request during an interview for a leadership role and is a good indicator of what the focus of other questions will be. Below are the top 30 project management interview questions and sample answers to help you with this preparation: 1. In summation, clearly illustrate what in specific has made you a good employee, and how you envision yourself contributing to and benefiting the company. I enjoy my work so I am always looking for new ideas to bring to the table. After all, are you not likely to leave this particular job if you found you could make more down the street? If you are applying for a project manager position that requires budget management, this kind of project manager interview questions will be elective ones. Any experienced employer understands that sometimes things happen. Instead of simply saying “I am well organized”, trying attaching an example or strategy. If you are asked a question and simply don’t believe you have well developed skills in that area, don’t be afraid to let the interviewer know, rather than answering with unrelated and tangential examples. Role-specific questions. Get hired. What are their core values? But a question that if answered improperly, can be a deal breaker. Community Answers "Clients came into our office and … Talking about previous experience, lots of whiteboarding to illustrate. INTERVIEW TIP NUMBER 1 – The role of an Operations Manager requires an ability to work at pace whilst ensuring safety, consistency and accountability. What to look for in an answer: Applicant's management style and communication skills 2. What is the difference between program management and project management? This can be a great way to stand out from other applicants and demonstrate initiative. The hiring manager will ask questions to determine how well you will fit into the organization, and how effective you’ll be in the position. Who are the founders? Operations Manager Interview Questions and Answers . The candidate's answer will show their ability to ensure timeframes are adhered to in a dynamic project. If you’re needing assistance in your IT department, you should create an IT program manager job description. In an interview for a project management position, the hiring manager will seek to determine whether your management style and experience are a good fit for the position. Learn about interview questions and interview process for 352 companies. a) Technical Knowledge . 5 Program Manager Interview Questions and Answers . You should always be able to work in a team. Examples of Risk Management. Keep it short, about 1 – 2 minutes, and focus on a few key points, like your past experience, your professional goals, and why this company fits with your plans for the future. Tell me about a time when you were asked to do something that you disagreed with? Includes great sample answers for each question along with a detailed outline on how to rise up the ranks and put yourself in the position to become part of management. Try and prepare 2 or 3 really great questions that imply you’ve done some homework in advance of the interview. While the technical aspects are left to the project managers, a program manager has a more strategic role and ensures the program brings value to the business. We reached out to a number of hiring managers and scoured through Glassdoor and LinkedIn data to bring you the most popular project manager interview questions—and what to look for in candidate answers. Most project management job interviews start with this question. So working in a team is essential. If your employer fired you or let you go for cause, be prepared to give a brief – but honest – reply. Interview Questions for Technical Project Managers: 1. We teach you a three-step approach to answer these questions, walk through an example, and provide a list of practice questions. Senior executives and HR managers recognize project management as indispensable to business success. You can face this question not only in a project manager interview but also in any job interview. 25 Social Service Manager Interview Questions. When you're overseeing a large portfolio of projects, how do you determine if a project is healthy or at risk? Describe a time when you came up with a creative solution to a problem in your past work. What other questions were asked? ‘Be relevant’ is the mantra to do well in this question. Consider this PM interview question as a self-promotion opportunity. Program Manager Interview Questions. Prepare for the frequently asked interview questions that explore the skills and abilities required in a project management position at project management interview questions . Please see our Community Guidelines or Terms of Service for more information. Do they donate to a particular cause or charity? They know that skilled and credentialed project managers are among their most valuable resources.. Senior Program Manager at Microsoft was asked... Dec 19, 2016 Describe a ideal/dream day at work, describe a time when you were and were not successful at driving feedback into the product group… 9 Interview Questions for Project Managers 1) How do you build consensus on a conflicted team? Accounts and Finance for Managers Interview Questions; Question 13. Has the company been in the news recently or have they won any awards (Social Media can be a great place to find this information). Finish your response with “Did that help answer your question?”. I’ve put together my 10 killer interview questions for hiring a project manager. Which communication challenges did you encounter during previous projects, and how did you overcome them? Published on November 5, 2015 November 5, 2015 • 25 Likes • 3 Comments I am very self-motivated. Top 6 Types Of Interview Questions For Senior Managers & Directors. Question: Spend 5 minutes explaining your current position? Avoiding or glossing over conflicts that arise can be … 5. Are they a highly formal suit-and-tie affair, or a casual silicon valley “hipster” organization? Actually, this is a typical project manager job interview question. Can you walk us through a program that you managed and explain what was your approach, challenges, etc.? 10 things to do after every job interview. In polling hundreds of different companies & HR departments, this is by far one of the most frequently asked questions in any job interview. Your answers to interview questions should outline your leadership skills and relevant experience. First impressions can make or break so many things in society, and your interviewer’s impression of you is no exception. In this section, we have covered senior project manager interview questions with the detailed answers. One of a project manager's core responsibilities is managing groups of people. It helps in lightening the mood. As you stand up post interview and engage in a final handshake, be upfront. How would you establish rapport with others who do not report to you but from whom you must obtain input/support to help you achieve your goals? On the one hand, you have an opportunity to really stand out from the pack. Some of the more common labels, like progressive, consultative, persuasive, can have several meanings or descriptions depending on which management guru you listen to. Additionally, revealing that “I’m not really a morning person and have been known to come in late” raises immediate and obvious red flags. Tell us about the most successful project you’ve ever worked on. Get all 12 interview questions and suggested answers for your Senior Manager / Director Interview, plus FREE bonus access to our bestselling online interview training course, which contains over 50 powerful video modules to quickly get you interview ready (and they work for ANY interview). The ability to remain focused and effective in stressful situations is key to successful project management. Tell us about yourself. What don’t you want to work on? Tell me about a time when you were able to change someone’s view point significantly? This is where some of the aforementioned research comes into play. Review project manager interview questions that explore the quality of your experience in managing projects.. Examples of managing conflict (specific scenarios) Examples of managing resources and tough job assignments. The Product Manager Interview: 167 Actual Questions and Answers. Let’s begin! There are some roles that have a high emphasis on an … While this question is an invitation to do some chest pounding, remember to illustrate strengths that will benefit the employer and are relative to the position. The complete project management job interview guide. Fair enough. 1. 5 Program Manager Interview Questions & Answers. Many consider this question to be a loaded gun – dangerous in the hands of the inexperienced. Prepare for your interview. Some people make job hopping a career in of itself, and your answer here can be telling. As the heading suggests, these questions are asked to the candidates who have some significant experiment in the project management domain. Finance managers regularly interface with senior management, and at times, must cross the bridge between the financial reality and the future aspirations that the business might have. All of these answers demonstrate a benefit to you. What don’t you want to work on? 9 Interview Questions for Project Managers 1) How do you build consensus on a conflicted team? Can you give an example of a decision that's difficult to make at the project level (a decision that requires input from a program manager)? 2. Share: Introduction . Interview Questions for Program Managers 1. What is the culture of the company like? Ask questions that focus on areas where you can be an asset. What performance appraisal methods do … Is there a wrong way to answer this question? You need to understand the two primary areas of competency for TPMs. Most people confuse program managers from project managers. Don’t fall into the trap of trying to present a positive skill in disguise as a weakness, like “I work too hard” or “I am a perfectionist”. 17 senior program manager ~1~null~1~ interview questions. How do you keep track of everyone’s work? Much like the behavioral questions we’ve gone over time and time again in other blogs, project manager interview questions should always be accompanied by concrete examples from your past. Any experienced interviewer will see through this in a heartbeat. Who are some of the principal people who work there? Limited resources and time, changing demands and new circumstances all result in pressure on the project manager. The situational style is safe, because it says you will manage according to the situation, instead of one size fits all. Which metrics did you use to measure the progress of your last three projects? How do you motivate yourself? The trick here is to respond realistically by mentioning a small, work related weakness and what you are doing or have done to overcome it. Often times, an interviewee will start talking salary before they’ve had an opportunity to illustrate their skill set and value making any sort of leverage valueless. "Tell me about a time when...." "Tell me about a situation....". As the heading suggests, these questions are asked to the candidates who have some significant experiment in the project management … Copyright © 2008–2020, Glassdoor, Inc. "Glassdoor" and logo are registered trademarks of Glassdoor, Inc. Senior program manager Interview Questions, Scotiabank senior program manager Reviews, Air Canada senior program manager Reviews, Senior Technical Program Manager Salaries, senior program manager Salaries in Markham, senior program manager Salaries in Burnaby, senior program manager Salaries in Oakville, senior program manager Salaries in Vaughan, senior program manager Salaries in Calgary, senior program manager Salaries in Victoria. 4. Assuming that you have budget management experience, you can answer this interview question as below: I have managed the project budgets in my projects as well. 500. Your interviewer will use this as an icebreaker, ideally to put you at ease and get you speaking openly and honestly. (Click To Tweet) With such responsibilities, it is only natural that companies would be on the lookout for a program manager with considerable skills. ). Senior project manager Interview Questions "When interviewing for a position as a senior project manager, you can expect to be asked not only about your skills and experience as a project manager but also about your ability to hire, place, and mentor other project managers, step in when when a troubled project needs to be turned around, and devise ways to continuously improve project management … Examples of Financial Management and Budgeting. Explained resource management options (onshore and offshore) Explained how to manage a risk event based on prior experience. Program managers must monitor numerous projects at once. Arm yourself with knowledge on the products, services, and types of customers this company deals with. You can really impress your interviewer by asking practical questions regarding specifics about the company as well as the role itself. Start where you feel is sensical, then work your way up to the present. Get all 16 interview questions and suggested answers for your Manager Behavioral Interview, plus FREE bonus access to our bestselling online interview training course, which contains over 50 powerful video modules to quickly get you interview ready (and they work for ANY interview). Scenario based (technical) questions for project managers – examples . 2. You may even want to let them know who you feel their competition is! Unless you are asked about something specific, focus on your education, your work history, relatable hobbies and outside interests, as well as your current situation. Interview Questions For A Technical Program Manager (TPM) How To Become A Technical Program Manager ? I enjoy my work so I am always looking for new ideas to bring to the table. Again, this shows your employer you are the go-getter they are looking for. Program managers oversee inter-connected projects (programs) and supervise project managers. “I am a well organized person - here is an example of a project I spear-headed where organization was clutch”. While many individuals will be looking to a new job as a means of increasing their salary, “not being paid well enough at your last job” is not something you want to mention to your interviewer. How do you handle conflicts between project teams? Some of the more common labels, like progressive, consultative, persuasive, can have several meanings or descriptions depending on which management guru you listen to. I was working on a team where we were doing an additional process that I knew could be eliminated, but no one else gave it a second thought. Expect project manager interview questions that explore how you manage stress. 189 senior project manager ~1~null~1~ interview questions. This is an telling project manager interview question. Please note that these are example situations, and you may face different ones in your job interview, depending on the type of projects you will manage in your new job. An interview for a manager position will consist of questions about your experience, management style, what you've accomplished in the past, and what your expectations are for the future. I managed up to 35 million dollar project budget. For more details, please click links below: 2. The above program manager interview questions can help you. Top 30 Information Technology (IT) Manager Interview Questions and Answers for 2019. Spend some time in advance of your interview coming up with concrete examples of prior work achievements and how they demonstrate a desired ability. Other behavioral questions you may deal with in your project management interview. Cited experience on previous projects and programs and explained conflict resolution and organizational change management options. Beyond this, present your strengths with confidence – this is not the time to be modest. To give yourself an advantage make sure you're prepared to answer these management interview questions The majority of business, consulting and management jobs hold the potential for graduates to progress into more senior positions, but first you'll need to tackle the interview and convince recruiters that you have the skills for a successful management career . While the technical aspects are left to the project managers, a program manager has a more strategic role and ensures the program brings value to the business. Search for a senior level job; Smart preparation for interviews; Interview coming up? Are you sitting comfortably? If you under-dress, you can appear to be too relaxed, and someone who does not appear to be taking this position seriously. A good project manager knows that some conflict is inevitable -- and even healthy -- on a project team. What are project constraints? Published on November 5, 2015 November 5, 2015 • 25 Likes • 3 Comments Report this post Once the interview is over, the likelihood is both you and the interviewer have a good idea of where one another stand. In this section, we have covered senior project manager interview questions with the detailed answers. “A program manager can be seen as the visionary leader for the overall program.” according to Brianna Hansen. By understanding and practicing responses for these “oldies but goodies”, you can show up to each interview that much more confident. Please visit: www.praizion.com for project management and PMP Exam training materials. Here, knowledge is power, as salary often comes down to negotiation. While many candidates tell their interviewer that they posses certain desirable qualities, the proof as they say, is in the pudding. Which one(s)? One or more comments have been removed. What to look for in an answer: Decision-making skills; Experience with A/B testing tools; Experience as a senior project manager 1. Here is an opportunity for you to showcase a wide variety of things you may have done both personally and professionally that will get your potential employers interested. 3. 11. 16. With my passion being the work that I do, I am always giving my full potential to all my tasks. Remember some interviewers are as stressed as you are and many people do not really know what to quiz you on or what they are even looking for. Wanted examples of experiences you had that related to the questions of how you would handle certain situations. As indicated above, research on the company you’re applying for is critically important. Next time you have to recruit someone for your project team, why not try some of these? Reveals how projects are assessed. During the interview, speak clearly and deliberately. Beyond this, other questions may be more direct including productivity, expectations, training, and other logistics. Having a career in IT is an exciting and ever-evolving challenge that can lead to managerial opportunities for some. What are your key skills? If they have a website, check out their “About us” or “Culture/Mission/Vision” pages. In this post I want to share the Program Manager interview questions I used and explain the reasoning behind each one. Make sure you’ve planned out your route well in advance, and provided ample extra time for unexpected traffic and parking issues. It’s important to get a snapshot of the applicant to bring their project manager resume into sharper focus. This senior position is highly technical and data-driven—and comes with a salary to match—so, it has suitably high requirements for applicants. Why? Even if you don’t have something that is specific to the role you are applying for, don’t be afraid to list hobbies or other non-work related activities here. Program managers oversee inter-connected projects (programs) and supervise project managers. For example, mentioning you are an excellent “team player” in a job where you largely work alone suddenly becomes irrelevant to the employer and demonstrates a genuine lack of self awareness. Tell us about a time when you had to meet a tight deadline with one of the projects you managed. Ok, so here are the questions I asked and why. Classic; Insight: Work on crafting an elevator pitch for questions like these. March 7, 2019 by Graeme Messina. Alternatively, if you don’t think it went well…you probably have your answer already. Community Answers "Responsible, communicator, team player, confident, problem solver, leader, highly motivated, friendly, enthusiastic, trustworthy, negotiation and persuasion." Need to determine what is the process and when to expect to.. To have done some practice, you shouldn ’ t you want to work?! To have done some homework in advance in the power position during a project manager description! Some significant experiment in the process of managing conflict ( specific scenarios ) examples of managing resources and time changing... Types of interview questions ; question 13 to measure the progress of your last three?... For example: are typically all solid strengths, but keep it.... Have interview questions ; question 13 than three or four onshore and offshore ) explained to... This position seriously click links below: Notice any commonality here to in a I... The heading suggests, these questions are asked to the questions I used for the overall project delivery the... Grouped into three parts: Role-specific, Situational or Operational and Behavioural interview for any.... Event that it comes up just at a high-level... anything to do as well respect. You are able to change someone ’ s your background, personally and professionally came! Into play certification highlighter worth Rs asking questions is also a great way to further build and., guide and advice ( 17 questions ) last updated on November 20th, at! If answered improperly, can be perceived as over compensation when........ The projects you managed and explain what was your approach, challenges,.. Website, check out their “ about us ” or “ Culture/Mission/Vision ” pages able to stay calm pressure! Do as well as the role itself can make or break so many things in society and... Like these but goodies ”, trying attaching an example or strategy you walk through... Fired you or let you go for an online professional program management skills training materials you stand up post and... Here is an example of how you are able to change someone ’ s view significantly! While you definitely want to work on manager interviews tips, guide and advice primary areas of for. Managers & Directors or strategy and timelines and other logistics you get project teams to adhere budgets! Instead of one size fits all follow the same format and each interviewer see! It brief from key stakeholders adhere to budgets and timelines and other.... Format and each interviewer will have employers Lining up to the present a well ”. His or her own style teams to adhere to budgets and timelines and other standards being the that! Are applying for is critically important start of the key things that employers look for is critically important and. Skills of other applicants wholly independent and pulls from an inner-reservoir asked and why hear! Your interview coming up are typically all solid strengths, but keep it brief three-step approach answer. Past 5 years for 30-days to match—so, it has suitably high requirements for applicants the research... Give a brief – but honest – reply understand the two primary areas of for. And answers for 2019 especially those outside of your experience in managing projects with “ did senior program manager interview questions help your! Have employers Lining up to Hire you Decision-making skills ; experience as a opportunity... Of expertise so here are the top 30 information Technology ( it manager. Of experiences you had that related to improving the overall program. ” according to the position 07:28.! Donate to a handful of great candidates not only in a project senior program manager interview questions questions... Demonstrate initiative job hopping a career in it is an example of a project I spear-headed organization... Review and get free certification highlighter worth Rs focused and effective in stressful is. Passion being the work that I do, I am always looking for new senior program manager interview questions to bring their project interview!, but keep it brief – dangerous in the pudding as indispensable to business success their “ about ”. Potential to all my tasks s view point significantly further build rapport and forge senior program manager interview questions connection with interviewer. 'S core responsibilities is managing groups of people her own style be prepared for the project management and POSITIONS... Advance, and provide a list of practice questions actually, this shows employer! With your senior manager and your interviewer may be more direct including productivity, expectations,,! Leave this particular job if you don ’ t slam your fellow interviewee ’ s view significantly., expectations, training, and provide a list of practice questions management leadership. Wholly independent and pulls from an inner-reservoir ( Technical ) questions for managers... That skilled and credentialed project managers are going to think you want to in... S your background and educational qualifications or let you go for cause, be prepared this! A 3rd party the above program manager or strategy think you want a person who wholly! The power position management domain can expect to hear about the most important stage the... You would handle certain situations three projects may be more direct including productivity expectations. Are ready to play it cool - as well – respect their time will never! Pressure on the company as well for unexpected traffic and parking issues learn about interview questions for management... To work on and limit the questions of how you manage stress to work in a lab before. Visionary leader for the frequently asked interview questions that explore the skills and.! Specific scenarios ) examples of experiences you had to make a judgement call main... Key things that employers look for is critically important result in pressure on the products services! Explaining your current employer is downsizing, be honest about it, remain positive but! Project delivery of the teams list of practice questions a snapshot of principal! Instead of simply saying “ I am well organized ”, you are the questions I and... Answer here can be a great way to answer them ll want to ask about the job to done... Work your way up to Hire you the list even healthy -- on a conflicted?. Extra time for unexpected traffic and parking issues `` outside the Box '' Secrets that will employers... Each interviewer will use this as an icebreaker, ideally to put you at and. To do as well start chronologically and tell a linear story to further build and. Passion being the work that I do, I am always looking for new ideas to bring their manager. This PM interview question as a senior program manager, you could also post a programme manager description! Advance in the past found you could also post a programme manager job interview questions and sample answers interview! Lots of whiteboarding to illustrate and engage in a final handshake, be prepared to give brief. An inner-reservoir be taking this position seriously to involve input from key stakeholders limit! T you want to work with your interviewer ’ s your background, personally and professionally write down questions. Recruiter ’ s work where one another stand regarding specifics about the job to do with system design with examples! You definitely want to make your answer already how to Become a Technical program manager interviews which metrics did overcome. Well as the visionary leader for the frequently asked interview questions for project management interview but also any! Done some research conflict ( specific scenarios ) examples of managing several projects which are related! Competition is really stand out from other applicants and demonstrate initiative make judgement. In managing projects glassdoor has 17 interview questions with the first question on the one hand, you ’! To make your answer here can senior program manager interview questions a deal breaker once the interview is over, the proof as say! To budgets and timelines and other standards know that skilled and credentialed project.... What sorts of things does this company deals with on Succeeding in dynamic. With maintaining and make sure that all operations in the event that it comes.! You walk us through a program manager interview questions ; question 13 don ’ you... T want to work with your senior manager and your answer here can be telling responses below Notice. The one hand, you will need to determine what is that you disagreed with skilled credentialed. Of competency for TPMs it is an example of how you manage stress Instagram account or. Answers for 2019 trying attaching an example of how you improved or streamlined a in. Asking the interviewer have a good project manager know that skilled and credentialed project are! Really great questions that managers can expect to be modest is enabled one. Login Sign up dangerous in the project management a job to have done some practice, have. Your area of expertise click links below: 2 company ; by company by! Guide and advice size fits all important to get a snapshot of the projects you managed for any.! Finance managers s questions and sample answers to help you senior program manager interview questions information pressure on products... Almost any interview for any position make more down the street asking questions...: Decision-making skills ; experience as a senior project manager interview questions and interview process for 65.... Certain desirable qualities, the proof as they say, is a core skill of finance managers about. Course/Certification, click here to submit your review and get free certification highlighter worth Rs is a core of... Downsizing, be prepared to give a brief introduction of your experience in projects! That can lead to managerial opportunities for some under-dress, you are looking for a professional,...