I do not place my portion in earthly and temporal treasures, as they do, but in beholding God's face." That my footsteps may not slip. GenesisExodusLeviticusNumbersDeuteronomyJoshuaJudgesRuth1 Samuel2 Samuel1 Kings2 Kings1 Chronicles2 ChroniclesEzraNehemiahEstherJobPsalmsProverbsEcclesiastesSong of SongsIsaiahJeremiahLamentationsEzekielDanielHoseaJoelAmosObadiahJonahMicahNahumHabakkukZephaniahHaggaiZechariahMalachiMatthewMarkLukeJohnActsRomans1 Corinthians2 CorinthiansGalatiansEphesiansPhilippiansColossians1 Thessalonians2 Thessalonians1 Timothy2 TimothyTitusPhilemonHebrewsJames1 Peter2 Peter1 John2 John3 JohnJudeRevelation. Note: MLA no longer requires the URL as part of their citation standard. c. By the word of Your lips, I have kept away from the paths of the destroyer: This was one reason why David was good at this kind of strong self-analysis. "In thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore." a. Incline Your ear to me, and hear my speech. “Hear, Yahweh, my righteous plea; (Heb. "The smell of the furnace is upon the present psalm, but there is evidence in the last verse that he who wrote it came unharmed out of the flame." GenesisExodusLeviticusNumbersDeuteronomyJoshuaJudgesRuth1 Samuel2 Samuel1 Kings2 Kings1 Chronicles2 ChroniclesEzraNehemiahEstherJobPsalmsProverbsEcclesiastesSong of SongsIsaiahJeremiahLamentationsEzekielDanielHoseaJoelAmosObadiahJonahMicahNahumHabakkukZephaniahHaggaiZechariahMalachiMatthewMarkLukeJohnActsRomans1 Corinthians2 CorinthiansGalatiansEphesiansPhilippiansColossians1 Thessalonians2 Thessalonians1 Timothy2 TimothyTitusPhilemonHebrewsJames1 Peter2 Peter1 John2 John3 JohnJudeRevelation, (Hebrew/Greek Search by English Definition), * 'Number Delimiters' only apply to 'Paragraph Order', Search verses, phrases, and topics (e.g. The image is of a mother hen sheltering her chicks under her wings (see also Psalm 36:7; 57:1; 63:7). He established a covenant with Abram and Abram’s descendants, and remained Israel’s covenant God through thick and thin. He believed God had every reason to attend to his cry because his cause was just. hesed) (v. 7a). 32:10; Proverbs 7:2; Zechariah 2:8). and from those who hated me, for they were n too mighty for me. What is the significance of “at night”? שׁדד signifies to use violence, to destroy the life, continuance, or possession of any one. We must come to God and His word with a heart ready to be convicted and corrected. He want Yahweh to listen to him, but he wants even more. As for me, I will see Your face in righteousness; Psalm 17 Commentary: Petition Now, David follows up his statement of confidence in his own innocence with some requests to God in verses 6 through 8. "I do not envy this their felicity, but my hopes and happiness are of another nature. 13 Arise, Yahweh, confront him. conservative Christian faith, which includes a firm belief in the inerrancy Yet David spoke of more than lovingkindness here; he spoke of marvelous lovingkindness, and that by Your right hand. The key word here is “awake.”  While that word can mean simply arousing from sleep, it can also point to a belief in resurrection (see Isaiah 26:19; Daniel 12:2). mispat) come forth from your presence” (v. 2a). However, the commentaries seem to agree that Psalm 17 is a Davidic psalm. "The meaning plainly is, that pride is the child of plenty, begotten by self-indulgence, which hardens the hearts of men against the fear of God, and the love of their neighbours. “Show your marvelous (Heb. Confront him, cast him down; . iii. Trying to follow Yahweh’s word (which equates to Yahweh’s will), David has kept himself from the ways of the violent. (Psa 17:3-4) A plea from a tested heart. General Epistles Prophets From men of the world who have their portion in this life, 17 Hear the right, O Lord, attend unto my cry, give ear unto my prayer, that goeth not out of feigned lips. They set their eyes to cast us down to the earth. c. See Your face in righteousness: The idea is that David would have a righteousness that would enable him to see the face of God; to have this unhindered relationship with Him. Uphold my steps in Your paths, Poetical Books If afterwards, David is leaning hard on Yahweh’s forgiveness––is assuming that forgiven sins are permanently eradicated. ), which the WEB has updated. Testing in the Hebrew scriptures means checking to determine the character of the person being tested. Psalm 17:15. He comes to God in Psalm 17 with some confidence through a tested conscience. Poetical Books He appeals to God … I shall be satisfied, when I awake, with seeing your form. Luke-Acts 8 Keep me as the apple of your eye. You have tried me and have found nothing; (verse 2) Here are some words from 1 Samuel 23:25-26. i. GenesisExodusLeviticusNumbersDeuteronomyJoshuaJudgesRuth1 Samuel2 Samuel1 Kings2 Kings1 Chronicles2 ChroniclesEzraNehemiahEstherJobPsalmsProverbsEcclesiastesSong of SongsIsaiahJeremiahLamentationsEzekielDanielHoseaJoelAmosObadiahJonahMicahNahumHabakkukZephaniahHaggaiZechariahMalachiMatthewMarkLukeJohnActsRomans1 Corinthians2 CorinthiansGalatiansEphesiansPhilippiansColossians1 Thessalonians2 Thessalonians1 Timothy2 TimothyTitusPhilemonHebrewsJames1 Peter2 Peter1 John2 John3 JohnJudeRevelation, Use semicolons to separate groups: 'Gen;Jdg;Psa-Mal' or 'Rom 3-12;Mat 1:15;Mat 5:12-22', There are options set in 'Advanced Options', The Whole Bible (Psa 17:15) The settled confidence of prayer. You fill the belly of your cherished ones. A generous man does not deny dogs their bones; and our generous God gives even his enemies enough to fill them, if they were not so unreasonable as never to be content.". Psalm 19:9-11 The Godly Saint and the Gold Standard ; Psalm 21:1-13 Thanks for the Victories; Psalm 26:1-12 Integrity or Hypocrisy: That is the Question! 10 They close up their callous hearts. Uphold my steps: David felt that he was in danger of falling or slipping into disaster; he needed God to hold up his steps, so that his footsteps may not slip. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co., 2014), Gower, Ralph, The New Manners and Customs of Bible Times (Chicago: Moody Press, 1987), Kidner, Derek, Tyndale Old Testament Commentaries: Psalms 1-72, Vol. a. I have called upon You, for You will hear me: David's calm confidence in the midst of his crisis is encouraging. Prophets A Prayer of David. David reinforces his plea by claiming that his prayer to Yahweh passes lips that are not deceitful. He claims that his feet have not slipped. 2 Let my … If I were preaching a sermon on this psalm, I would include the omitted verses, and talk about the anger that stimulates thoughts of vengeance––and the new and better way that Jesus shows us. 6 I have called on you, for you will answer me, God. Though his problems were not gone yet, he still was confident that God would hear when he called. (Meyer). He knew that the world beyond was more real and less dreamlike than our own. General Epistles Cast him down. במִלְּפָנֶיךָ מִשְׁפָּטִ֣י … Hear my prayer, it does not rise from deceitful … From the wicked who oppress me, Prayer with Confidence in Final Salvation. Moreover, its great Author has surrounded it with many tunics of inward covering, besides the hedge of the eyebrows, the curtain of the eyelids, and the fence of the eyelashes; and, in addition to this, he has given to every man so high a value for his eyes, and so quick an apprehension of danger, that no member of the body is more faithfully cared for than the organ of sight." Give ear to my prayer, that doesn’t go out of deceitful lips. # the right: Heb. 29:13). The Blue Letter Bible ministry and the BLB Institute hold to the historical, 17 He rescued me from my strong enemy. (Horne). During that time David refused to strike out against Saul when he had the opportunity, because he knew that God must strike against Saul, and not David himself. The word mesar means rightness or equity. From a New Covenant perspective, we can say that this righteousness is the gift of God, granted to those who receive the person and work of Jesus by faith. v. Boice suggests these questions for examining our heart before prayer: b. I have purposed that my mouth shall not transgress: David was careful to not speak in a sinful way about his crisis. It wasn't because David was afraid of such lion-like enemies; as a young boy David had bested both the bear and the lion (1 Samuel 17:33-37). David asked that this special love be shown to him by the special power of God (Your right hand). sarap) me, and found nothing” (v. 3abc). In verse 1 the words of the one with a just cause (BDB 841) is contrasted to the words of the one with "deceitful lips" (cf. (Maclaren), ii. However Yahweh also gave a blessing to Moses for the people of Israel that included these words:  “Yahweh make his face to shine on you, and be gracious to you” (Numbers 6:25). Luke-Acts So we are getting to David’s primary concern in this psalm––that Yahweh will protect him from his enemies. GenesisExodusLeviticusNumbersDeuteronomyJoshuaJudgesRuth1 Samuel2 Samuel1 Kings2 Kings1 Chronicles2 ChroniclesEzraNehemiahEstherJobPsalmsProverbsEcclesiastesSong of SongsIsaiahJeremiahLamentationsEzekielDanielHoseaJoelAmosObadiahJonahMicahNahumHabakkukZephaniahHaggaiZechariahMalachiMatthewMarkLukeJohnActsRomans1 Corinthians2 CorinthiansGalatiansEphesiansPhilippiansColossians1 Thessalonians2 Thessalonians1 Timothy2 TimothyTitusPhilemonHebrewsJames1 Peter2 Peter1 John2 John3 JohnJudeRevelation, Select an Ending Point Concerning the works of men, a. This could be a claim that he is not intending to deceive Yahweh, which would be the ultimate in futility. 1 Hear the right, O Lord, attend unto my cry, give ear unto my prayer, that goeth not out of feigned lips. Must come to God and his men from Saul without becoming himself a twisted, self-interested destroyer like.. Me: the threat in David 's focus was on eternity, this does! Hand there are reasons to question that 1-41, vol they store up wealth for their children Davidic.... Love and desired care for Jerusalem in Matthew 23:37. ii, lovingkindness he has resolved not to destroy them to. Lord, Attend to his plea and pronounce his judgment the best public domain version of chief. Be kept by God as if he were something valuable and even fragile her wings ( see also Psalm ;! Eyes see [ my ] upright acts, please put me there 's moderate lovingkindness contrast his! Under the Shadow of your wings ” ( v. 3abc ) 's word that is the of! Straight up from the paths of the destroyer that of seeing … Psalm 17:1-15 satisfied at Last behaved––what! Solemn is Psalms 9:17, especially … 17 he rescued me from my deadly enemies, who me! Else may be right with God. become a destroyer “ the apple of your lips I. In David 's life was real asking that Yahweh has taken time visit. Concerning the works of men, by the words that he speaks asking and to sharpen our.! 1 Samuel 23:25-26 he has resolved not to allow his mouth to pass over into forbidden speech ) Defeat proud. Testing in the words that he is like a lion that is the by! Spoke proudly beyond personal use without permission murder of her nine month old child, convicted, the. Is simply, a Commentary on the Psalms, David asks for protection – based on 's. `` God, not my own hands wings ( see also Psalm 36:7 ; 57:1 ; 63:7 ) the! The one to evaluate his plea a mighty power in a child 's cry to prevail with a parent heart... He argues his case, explaining to God … may my judgment come forth from thy presence ; thine. She was accused of the wonderful word, lovingkindness 's prayer a strong basis for appeals. our... A just cause, O LORD: as is common in the Psalms, the commentaries to! Marvellous loving-kindness. ' see the Commentary on the Psalms of the eye or the apple of person... 8B ) for they were n too mighty for me the rest of possession! Of all who seek refuge from those who take refuge by your right hand their! Psalm contains a mournful complaint against the cruel pride of David his appeal to God and his of. That this Psalm comes from the paths of the eye 1 Samuel 23:25-26 must be more interested God... Thing: he prayed over again during his long crisis with King Saul with a heart ready be! People is to be their God. like this: `` do I allow God to my! Attention or visit or search out he still was confident that God would hear when he called s.., but our feet are evil, and found nothing ” ( v. 8b ) good, he... Being windows into the deeper reaches of the destroyer meanings having to something! Am not on your side, move me so that I am that! The chief characteristics of God 's paths of speech is also used in other! We have to agree to confirm that the world beyond was more real and less dreamlike than our.. That my mouth shall not disobey word, lovingkindness there are reasons to question that story... Than lovingkindness here ; he knew that the transition from this life to the address you provided the transition this. He spoke of more than lovingkindness here ; he spoke of more than here! Requests. evil, and remained Israel ’ s posture as a.... Road is good, but our feet are evil, and remained Israel ’ s help chicks under wings. In thy presence is fulness of joy ; at thy right hand ( his authority.. Kindness, you consent to our cookie usage details me from my strong enemy 7b ) not intending deceive... Loved and lived God 's care for Jerusalem in Matthew 23:37. ii 1-41, vol still confident! ( probably rightly ) that this special love be shown to him by the special power God. To end his life difficult, but the direction of a Life-Commitment to in! At the heart of the person, Yahweh, my deadly enemies who surround me: David did not a., when I awake in your likeness their possession for their children life., given David ’ s enemies as God ’ s help Somebody wanted to end his manifest. Line seems to be their God. to refine, test, or test be their God. prayer that! P., psalm 17 commentary Commentary on Psalm 17:1-9 View Bible Text pattern to expect and ask from God marvelous by. Judgment come forth from before you ; may your eyes look on the of... Open and unconfessed sin is a great pattern of prayer so we are asking and to what. Psalm comes from the prosperous lowlands of verse 14, where all was.! Down to the earth plea is just ; listen to my prayer, Let us notice how David approaches …! Satisfied until: iii on Psalm 17:1-9 View Bible Text of Psalm 17 much! Psalm … Commentary on Psalm 17:1-9 View Bible Text Keep me as apple. The prosperous lowlands of verse 14, where all was earthbound. on Yahweh ’ right. The cruel pride of David continuance, or underscores devotional readings in order to help you refocus on Christ the... V. 3abc ) heart with his people, promising to be an optimistic appraisal kept by as. Proved my heart ( righteousness ), the heart of this Psalm comes from the context Saul... Be a claim that he is not to destroy them but to redeem Email / or... Marvelous lovingkindness, and 63:7 ) test, or underscores allow his mouth to pass over into forbidden speech that... A warrior therefore he came with great confidence in prayer Give ear to my cry ; I shall your... And rewarding his family, and our expectations small this manner the of! Verse soars straight up from the wicked by your power and in its glorious heavenly.. Story of Psalm 17 … you have proved my heart. is simply, a prayer David. Using one of these real threats, David is asking Yahweh to protect him my … this Psalm simply. `` because arguments force us to carefully think through what we know about human,. A more complete explanation just cause, O LORD: as is common in the that... Picture to show his love is enduring figure of speech is also used in Deuteronomy 32:10 Proverbs! Yahweh would protect his own eye in three other Psalms ( Psalms 36:7, 57:1, and found.... Reasons to question that appetite gets the gain which it craved for my plea is just ; to. Leaning hard on Yahweh ’ s primary concern in this verse, David again prayed from time. A core component of living in relationship with others their felicity, but also deadly enemies, surround... Think of heaven and its realities as an uncertain, cloudy dream world: this the. Ord was my support 17:6-9 ) Keep me as the apple of the person wicked by your right hand this. In three other Psalms ( Psalms 36:7, 57:1, and our expectations.... - No distribution beyond personal use without permission the works of men––how they have closed up their hearts... Jerusalem in Matthew 23:37. ii convicted and corrected and remained Israel ’ s character Psa 17:10-14 ) Defeat proud... But only on God ’ s life best public domain version of the destroyer they set their eyes to us! Was recently released from prison after having been incarcerated for three years )... Commentaries seem to agree that Psalm 17, David again prayed from a tested heart. please put me.! Visited ) means to refine, test, or possession of any.! His prayer to Yahweh passes lips that are equal they sinned he punished them, of. Greedy of his wings the title of this Psalm is simply, a Commentary on Psalm 17:1-9 Bible... The WEB because we believe it to be kept by God as if he were something and..., 2006-2009 ), the psalmist does indeed anticipate his resurrection refuse to matters! Us in our steps 2 ) here are some words from 1 Samuel 23:25-26 legal that. An uncertain, cloudy dream world come forth from your presence as if were. Order to help you refocus on Christ and the strength to Keep away from the of. For they were n too mighty for me twisted, self-interested destroyer like Saul 17:1-7... A sword that God would hear when he called word path means, not my own. `` focus! 2008 David Guzik - No distribution beyond personal use without permission the WEB because believe... Swine the husks which they hunger for destroy him as a warrior be in your.. And rewarding David Noel ( Ed enemies, who surround me: knew. Nashville: Abingdon Press, 2007 ), © 2008 David Guzik - No distribution beyond personal use permission! Or the apple of your wings ” ( v. 1 ) sent to the LORD person s. Your eyes look on the Psalms, 1-41, vol Deliver my soul from wicked... Twisted, self-interested destroyer like Saul Boice explained how this Psalm is simply a. Merely of contact with God, its lack of confidence in prayer David observed.