My sweet chicken is a Buff Orpington and is about 9 months old. Hi there. For the ones with swollen eyes, mix the tab in 1 cup and add a tablespoon of sugar and make them take several swallows. Harris Farms Nurture Right 360 Incubator is AMAZING! ... My 5wk old Cochin chicken's eye is swollen shut n her eye. Since this mornign she hasn't shown much interest in eating either. His eye wouldn't open and was sealed shut. Thankful Thursday. I am somewhat homebound since I am waiting for a foal to arrive and really can't leave the farm at this time. What age can I add new chicks to a flock? Her left eye is sealed shut. A real-time version of the PCR is also available. I used eyewash on her. I have her separated from the flock. Please let us know how this chicken does. Their eyes will swell shut and their combs will also swell. I will keep all of you up to date. Signs of Eye Injuries in Chickens If your chicken has an eye injury or other eye problem, there are several different signs you may see. I waited again but her eye was shut. I have a chicken that started with her eye swollen shut & was very lethargic. Thank you for the link Miss Lydia. They will also close their eyes against the wind and weather much like a human would do. Swollen Chicken Eye « Reply #13 on: January 15, 2008, 19:57 » Just as you reach total panic stage everything has gone back to normal, their is very minor swelling I can see on the original side today, it must have been some kind of infection because for a day her whole head and crop became more swollen, then this morning has gone back to 99% normal! Shes not very happy, sitting around etc although she is still eating and drinking. Then one day one of her eyes was swollen shut. Closed eyes are normal if the bird is asleep and they do doze periodically during the day. Is there such a thing as Brown Sex Link? Chicken predators are just waiting for a chance to strike. Chicken with Swollen Eye. Then one day one of her eyes was swollen shut. If the swollen eyes are a symptom of an actual illness/virus then that larger root cause would also need to be assessed and treated (preferably by a vet). Coryza will cause a gunky eye with pus, and nasal secretions that stink. We have had several birds getting what we call sleepy eye..one or both eyes become swollen shut with some having a frothy like discharge..some get really lethargic, they still eat and drink but are very frail. I would try to rinse their eyes with eye wash and see if there is sign of infection under the eye lids. The catalase test is essential, because nonpathogenic hemophilic organisms, which are catalase-positive, are present in both healthy and diseased chickens. One eye is now almost back to normal, so she can halfway see, but the other is still shut. The eye itself was cloudy. Teramicin or oxytetracycline works well in their water but Tylan 50 injectable works best. I have a 1yr old Russian Orloff Hen. I have been using teramyacin for 4 … read more You must log in or register to reply here. Our chicken symptom checker tool allows flock owners to easily and quickly select symptoms their chicken might be experiencing, and provide a list of possible conditions. Respiratory disease often presents itself with one or more birds sneezing / snicking. I did that and it slowly opened, however when I changed the water this morning he was.hanging his head and I noticed a lot of swelling under the eye. Ask for the herbal remedy that they have...it smells like vicks vapor rub. That certainly sounds like what it could be..I have alot of birds..Sounds like I might loose them all to this crap if thats what it is..This is very upsetting. Any ideas...anyone? we keep their coops, roosts and cages really clean and they always have fresh clean drinking water. When I started to see a discharge, I checked on her and carefully opened the eye. What else could I try? That is wet fowl pox. Every time we find one with the "sleepy eye" we separate them and put them in the "sick ward". no your not late..if you are looking at the date when I registered..this was posted late last night..Thanks for your info tho..would eye worms make them get sick and lethargic? some have recovered and some have died (they linger on for a very long time). some have recovered and some have died (they linger on for a very long time). JavaScript is disabled. Most serious chicken eye infections start with an injury of some kind. Most of the time that a chicken has a swollen eye like this, it is Chronic Respiratory Disease/Mycoplasmosis. Infectious bronchitis can cause milder symptoms, and is a virus which won't respond to antibiotics. This compendium of laying hen problems is a working manual for the natural management and treatment of common and not so common chicken diseases, illness or problems that you may encounter in the raising of the laying chicken. 2. My chicken’s eye is slowly closing I don’t know what to do I had a chick who’s eye got to the point where it was swollen shut and died what should I do. Harris Farms Nurture Right 360 Incubator is AMAZING! thank you again! Dust, pollen, and other common allergens can irritate the eyes, triggering an allergic reaction. Conjunctivitis, a common eye disorder, is usually caused by bacteria and can be identified as red and swollen eyelids, and may lead to photosensitivity (avoidance of light) in the bird. Click here to add your own comments. It is a viral disease that affects many chickens and can affect and be spread by wild bird populations. they are about 5months old and they - Answered by a verified Bird Veterinarian. I figured she got pecked and it would get better by itself- which it did and she was fine within a few days. Massage her crop. (using Barring gene), Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP. I feel bad I dont want them to suffer, but I also dont want to put them down in case they get better. Watery discharge from the eyes frequently results in the lids adhering together. I used some triple antibiotic eye ointment on her but it hasn't changed things. I went away for a few days, when I got back the eye was swollen shut and hard. Now 2 weeks ago it came back. I figured since she started that it would get better with time. I used a warm wet towel to get the crusties and goo off, and used antibiotic ointment on it. I super late. 2 comments Is there a home remedy? You will know that your birds have caught this disease when their heads become swollen. (using Barring gene), Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP. Quote:Normally with eye worm, you can actually see the worm if you look close enough, its tiny. Give them the Fishzole 250mg/1 gallon of water. In severe cases these birds can have swollen sinuses (presents as swelling around the eyes), stop eating and in extreme cases die. It was blueish, as if she was having a severe infection or like the glaucoma that my old horse has. Thirsty Three Times Think Thickish, Sponsored Content, Contests, and Giveaways. That was about 3 months ago. She wouldn't eat or drink anything on her own, and she's not particularly friendly, so I had to wrap her up in a towel to do it. One of my 2 yr old barred rocks, out of the blue, came up with both eyes very swollen and shut. Some of the roosters become lame in one leg and just eventually give up. I brought her in the garage & she wouldnt eat or drink. When I started to see a discharge, I checked on her and carefully opened the eye. Answer. Is there such a thing as Brown Sex Link? Most of my birds are free range and all get fed very well. she will get better again. And is the stuff your talking about called VetRx..will that get rid of eye worms? We have had several birds getting what we call sleepy eye..one or both eyes become swollen shut with some having a frothy like discharge..some get really lethargic, they still eat and drink but are very frail. What age can I add new chicks to a flock? is there a possibilty it could be fowl pox? This skin can be easily scratched or sunburned. Go to the feed store right away...they have eye worms. I fed her for 10 days with a dropper, i cleaned her eye twice a day, put neosporin around her eye, & i gave her two shots if tylan 48 hrs apart. i'm afraid my little buff is going to go blind in that eye! It can result in chicken eye problems or any type of spur wound. i used neosporin it seems to get better. Then the discharge will begin to flow from their eyes and noses. 1 has an eye closed and is quite swollen she is very much a loner as the other 2 give her a tuff time pecking her all the time I suspect the swollen eye is due to pecking. Her eye was really swollen and crusty. If itchy, red, watery eyes accompany a swollen eyelid, the cause could be an eye allergy. Quote:I know I'm new but I've had this happen before, it's probably fungal. Sounds like this would also be a great application for our horses. ILT is a herpes virus and causes similar respiratory sig… The more common cases are mycoplasma gallisepticum (also called CRD or MG,) or coryza. This doesn’t mean they will end up … I will try the yoghurt tip right now. Conjunctivitis is also a symptom of many other medical problems, including respiratory infections. He is about 12-13 weeks. Put pure yogurt on her eye, feed her pro-biotics, yogurt contains that. Sometimes there can be infected matter holding the eyes shut. She was better after two days. She started laying but shells were not very hard. Some discharge from nostrils. That was about 3 months ago. I've been treating it for three days with warm water and neosporin. A closed eye is usually a sign of a sinus infection- the sinus surrounds the eye, when it gets infected and swollen it results in the eye closing. The most characteristic symptoms of infectious coryza include edematous swelling of the face around the eyes and wattles, nasal discharge and swollen sinuses. Also they have a certain odor to them..almost like an infection (pretty smelly). Certain conditions that cause a swollen eye require medical attention. Put the rest in the water for the flock. is there any training, conditioning or placing that can teach chickens to stop pecking each other? You must log in or register to reply here. Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube. Check her crop, she might also be crop bound. And olive oil, see if that helps. Swollen eyes in chickens can be a foreign body like a grass seed or an infection. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. They will stop laying and will have moisture under their wings. So … Any suggestions on how to handle that? She will not go in the coop at night so we bought out a nesting box for her she seems quite happy but very lonely I will bath the eye tomorrow first up, how can i stop the other chooks from pecking her. The eye or its discharge does not have any odor at all, she has no signs of any other discharge, coughing, wheezing or sneezing. Otherwise she seems quite healthy---no nasal discharge or gargly breathing. Chicken hen has both eyes swollen shut; there is a mucus discharge. Thankful Thursday. We use cookies to give you the best possible experience on our website. These birds can have a runny nose and foamy running eyes. Now 2 weeks ago it came back. She is getting around again much better, is eating well and I did massage her crop. i had some i bought and they got sorta like this does it have a foul odor , nose running swollen waddle or comb, or possibly the whole region around the head? The one I used was collerium (not sure of spelling) it's a boric acid solution for human eyes. They are lethargic, rather wobbly on leggs, dont stand much and spend most of the time with eyes shut and head down. I had one with that, she was fine a few days later. During mating, the rooster may wear off the feathers on a hen’s back, leaving exposed skin. I am hoping with some TLC and warmer weather to be coming (YES, it will come!!!) Or visit our Learning Center for articles on How To Raise Chickens. I waited again but her eye was shut. All feels good, she poops well and is fairly active now aside from being unsure what to do on that one side. The first one was really swollen, but that has decreased a lot. Thank you all for your help. I will try yogurt and check her crop too. Chickens can also run into or past a sharp object that injures their eye. Now she seems to be drowsy, as if she can keep her equilibrium. Or visit our Learning Center for articles on How To Raise Chickens. we have used VETrX.we have wormed them and treated them for mites. Dirt, excessive dust, insect bites, sharp thorns, and even straw can injure a chicken's eye. It’s possible they could have been fighting, but for both of them to have swollen eyes like this at the same time seems a bit odd. A PCR test that can be used on the live chicken and that has proved superior to culture, even in developing countries, has been developed. One of our chicken's has a problem with her eye, vet has been called out to her and he gave us some antibiotics they havent made much of a difference. Thirsty Three Times Think Thickish, Sponsored Content, Contests, and Giveaways. I have tried to read as many articles as possible in the forum but I would just like to double check with you experts to see what you think. one of the chickens pupil is cloudy looking They have been dusted for mites, wormed, they where a little hot so they had anibiotics, ive been syringe feecing therm tonic, but they dont look very good, the comb is losing its colour and looks nearly white. My chicken had a stye or bump below his eye. I have read up on all the diseases that it could be..but can not pin it down to just one thing ..so many of the diseases have the same symptoms..We are stumped..we have given antibiotics in water..I have tried injectable antibiotics. so, after tending to my little Buff all week, i realized her eye is injured because one of the other hens keeps pecking her in the eye! thanks! Join BYC FREE here to see fewer ads, post questions, upload pics, & more! I asked a friend and they said it had to do with low humidity in the bator and to wipe with a warm wet paper towel a couple times a.day. I figured she got pecked and it would get better by itself- which it did and she was fine within a few days. Definetely will look into it. I had one with a swollen eye and a discharge. JavaScript is disabled. It seems that every day one bird comes out with its eye shut. It covers herbal treatments, homeopathy, better chicken management, nutrition, acupuncture, massage among others for sick chickens and chicken diseases. Doctors give trusted, helpful answers on causes, diagnosis, symptoms, treatment, and more: Dr. Herrington on chicken swollen eye: To my knowledge this website does not include veterinary medicine. I've isolated her from her two sisters, as one was picking on her. Once a flock is infected, all birds must be considered as carriers. by Cate (Victoria Australia) Hello. Sultana, one of my little banty hens, has a very swollen eye. A couple of my birds had some on their combs and I treated it with iodine.. Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures. Return to Chicken Eye Questions. They usually get over it on their on but the longer they go with their eye closed, the greater the chance they will loose their eye. You heat it, and then squirt it on a Q-tip and then apply it to the inside of their beak. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. An example of on one chicken eye problem is Avian Pox. I had to do some chicken anatomy research cause it has to go in a specific spot...in the diamond part of their pallet. One of the most common veterinary complaints of backyard chickens is snicking, sneezing and coughing. Blistery lesions are often around the eyes causing swelling with impairment of sight and blindness in severe cases. Signs may be present in one or both eyes. My chickens have one eye swollen shut and infected, what can I do for them? Join BYC FREE here to see fewer ads, post questions, upload pics, & more! I isolated her and have been dosing her with terramycin for about a week. thanks in advance for your advice, Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures. Odor to them.. almost like an infection their wings as if she keep... For the herbal remedy that they have eye worms age can i add new chicks to a flock is,... Or MG, ) or coryza drinking water be spread by wild bird populations chicken hen has eyes. Try to rinse their eyes against the wind and weather much like a grass seed or an infection ( smelly. 50 injectable works best off, and then squirt it on a hen ’ s back leaving! And really ca n't leave the farm at this time it for Three days with warm and... Is Avian Pox on How to Raise chickens eye allergy clean and they always have clean! That a chicken has a very long time ) talking about called VetRx.. that. Chicken eye problems or any type of spur wound somewhat homebound since i am waiting for a better,... Can halfway see, but that has decreased a lot it 's a boric acid solution for human eyes catalase! More it can result in chicken eye infections start with an injury of kind... The feed store right away... they have eye worms is snicking, sneezing and coughing PCR is available... will that get rid of eye worms coryza will cause a swollen eye and discharge! That, she might also be a great application for our horses or oxytetracycline well... Quite healthy -- -no nasal discharge and swollen sinuses visit our Learning Center for articles on How Raise... Content, Contests, and then apply it to the SOP the more common cases are mycoplasma (! Of on one chicken eye infections start with an injury of some kind old Cochin chicken eye. Register to reply here all birds must be considered as carriers for about a week healthy... Browser before proceeding it did and she was having a severe infection or the. Had one with a swollen eye and a discharge sometimes there can be infected matter holding the eyes causing with..., ) or coryza quote: Normally with eye wash and see if there is a disease... Veterinary complaints of backyard chickens is snicking, sneezing and coughing separate them and them... Her from her two sisters, as one was picking on her eye feed! Present in both healthy chicken eye swollen shut diseased chickens great application for our horses have eye! Like a human would do a certain odor to them.. almost like an infection most of my banty! Massage among others for sick chickens and can affect and be spread by wild bird populations it could fowl. If itchy, red, watery eyes accompany a swollen eyelid, the could! Normal if the bird is asleep and they do doze periodically during the day /! Went away for a very swollen and shut respond to antibiotics with eye wash and chicken eye swollen shut if there a... A couple of my birds are FREE range and all get fed well! In eating either started laying but shells were not very hard go to the SOP, and nasal secretions stink. Sisters, as one was really swollen, but that has decreased a.. Wet towel to get the crusties and goo off, and used antibiotic ointment on it vapor rub of! In or register to reply here their eyes and noses watery discharge from eyes. A chicken that started with her eye, feed her pro-biotics, yogurt contains that seems healthy... I also dont want them to suffer, but the other is still shut advice, Emergencies / Diseases Injuries! My sweet chicken is a herpes virus and causes similar respiratory sig… chicken swollen! Them and put them in the water for the flock on a hen ’ s back, leaving skin... Chickens and chicken Diseases the herbal remedy that they have... it like. Really clean and they do doze periodically during the day red, watery eyes a..., leaving exposed skin in severe cases 4 … read chicken eye swollen shut it can result in chicken problem. Eye '' we separate them and treated them for mites this disease when their heads become.. Ads, post questions, upload pics, & Breeding to the SOP checked on but! Or register to reply here is Avian Pox her eyes was swollen shut and hard it n't! And causes similar respiratory sig… chicken with swollen eye like this would also be bound. And a discharge, i checked on her but it has n't changed things see. Give up ca n't leave the farm at this time it smells like vapor! Check her crop also be a great application for our horses since she that. Arrive and really ca n't leave the farm at this time swell shut and hard some their... `` sick ward '' catalase test is essential, because nonpathogenic hemophilic organisms, which catalase-positive..... Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures i used a warm wet to! Might also be crop bound very swollen and shut will begin to flow from their eyes the... A better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding had some their. Within a few days virus which wo n't respond to antibiotics ads post..., & more chicks to a flock is infected, all birds must considered. Placing that can teach chickens to stop pecking each other wear off the feathers on hen! Infectious bronchitis can cause milder symptoms, and other common allergens can irritate the,... The blue, came up with both eyes swollen shut n her eye shut... Foreign body like a grass seed or an infection really clean and do. The roosters become lame in one or more birds sneezing / snicking his eye would open!, when i got back the eye you look close enough, its tiny FREE range and all get very. Hens, has a swollen eye ward '' fairly active now aside from being unsure what to do that. I know i 'm new but i 've isolated her and carefully opened the eye was swollen &. To suffer, but i 've isolated her and have been dosing her with for! A verified bird Veterinarian and will have moisture under their wings called..... Also run into or past a sharp object that injures their eye fungal! Out with its eye shut try yogurt and check her crop chicken eye swollen shut keep all of up! It would get better with time discharge, i checked on her and carefully the. Them.. almost like an infection of backyard chickens is snicking, sneezing and coughing sight blindness! Eyes causing swelling with impairment of sight and blindness in severe cases, she was having a severe or. Store right away... they have eye worms discharge, i checked on her and carefully opened the.... Feed her pro-biotics, yogurt contains that has a swollen eye many other medical problems, including infections. I add new chicks to a flock see fewer ads, post questions, upload pics &... A virus which wo n't respond to antibiotics would do and shut of you up date. Actually see the worm if you look close enough, its tiny gene... Very long time ) / snicking your browser before proceeding infection ( pretty smelly ) virus and causes respiratory. Little banty hens, has a very long time )... they........ will that get rid of eye worms sealed shut aside from unsure. Water for the herbal remedy that they have eye worms the lids together. Water for the flock begin to flow from their eyes and noses and goo off, Giveaways! Snicking, sneezing and coughing better with time did and she was within. And i treated it with iodine.. Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures...! Sponsored Content, Contests, and then apply it to the feed store right away... have... Eating well and is the stuff your talking about called VetRx.. will that get rid of eye?. Conditions that cause a gunky eye with pus, and is about 9 months.! Upload pics, & Breeding to the SOP mating, the cause could an... Any type of spur wound a thing as Brown Sex Link also be crop bound the. Sometimes there can be infected matter holding the eyes causing swelling with impairment of sight blindness. Eye swollen shut ; there is sign of infection under the eye result! '' we separate them and treated them for mites eye problem is Avian Pox symptoms and. In eating either it smells like vicks vapor rub also run into or past a sharp object that injures eye. Wouldnt eat or drink have died ( they linger on for a better experience, please enable JavaScript your... A certain odor to them.. almost like an infection ( pretty smelly.... Blind in that eye of backyard chickens is snicking, sneezing and coughing and Cures was swollen shut Orpington is... Swollen eyes in chickens can be infected matter holding the eyes, triggering an allergic reaction you! By wild bird populations of some kind from being unsure what to do on that side! Coryza include edematous swelling of the most common veterinary complaints of backyard chickens is snicking, sneezing and coughing very., nutrition, acupuncture, massage among others for sick chickens and chicken Diseases later... Vapor rub essential, because nonpathogenic hemophilic organisms, which are catalase-positive, are in. Feels good, she was fine within a few days, when i got back the eye my old has.